29 Mar A useful guide
Hiring A Close Up Magician (a useful guide)
If you’ve not hired a magician before, you may be unsure what fees you can expect to pay. And once you start shopping around and discover how prices vary, you can get even more confused!
Hiring a Close Up Magician is a difficult process. That’s why I’ve written this piece…
With so much choice, it’s tempting to pick the cheapest. After all, spend less on entertainment and you have more for other costs such as your venue and the catering etc.
But (as with anything) opting for ‘cheap and cheerful’ can be a mistake.
That’s because when you hire a close-up magician, you’re paying for more than a few tricks. Let me explain…
This is what a top-notch close-up magician actually does
A close-up magician should bring more than entertainment to your event.
When I show up at a party or a wedding (or a corporate event), I need more than a few good magic tricks to put on a spellbinding show!
I’m here to create OMG moments for your guests that lead to dropped jaws, astonished expressions, and whispers of “How on earth did he do that?” And that means I need performance skills too.
Unless a close-up magician can work an audience, mingle confidently, and respond to what’s happening in the moment, the magic won’t work. You can’t rock up and rely on a script. Close-up magic doesn’t work that way because it’s reliant on audience interaction and engagement too.
That’s why personality is key.
You want someone who is personable and relevant. Someone who can slot into any conversation, immediately put guests at ease, and engage them with magic that gets them talking.
Actually, someone like me!
Magicians that can’t work a crowd make the audience cringe. It’s embarrassing! And if the tricks are obvious and easy to work out, your audience will be unimpressed and bored.
Imagine how you’ll feel as the party host when word gets around that the entertainment is a little bit rubbish.
And that’s why I encourage you not to compromise on your entertainment. Instead, pay a fair price to get the confidence you need that your close-up magician won’t let you down.
This is what you’re actually paying for
When hiring a Close Up Magician, you’re paying for more than a few tricks. Let me break it down for you… this is what you get when you hire me:
- My personality! I’m the boy next door who can mingle with anyone, ad lib at ease, and make even the hardest to please party guest smile!
- A party starter – close-up magic adds to the atmosphere, creates a vibe, and transforms the mood of any party, celebration, or event
- A collection of relevant, jaw-dropping, spellbinding magic tricks that will wow your guests and leave them wondering how on earth they were performed
- A shared experience for your guests that get people talking, laughing, and smiling
- Memories of an awesome experience that lasts long after your party/event/wedding has finished
- Entertainment that breaks the ice and brings people together – even strangers
- The satisfaction that you’re an awesome party/event host because you found such a brilliant entertainer!
- Peace of mind that your guests are being expertly entertained – so you can relax and enjoy the show too
- Impressed guests – there are never any clichés, cringes, or tackiness when I’m in the room
- A bespoke experience – every event is unique, which means every close-up magic show I perform is subtly different from the last
- Experience – I’ve performed at thousands of events and I’m currently ranked 2nd on FreeIndex out of 444 UK magicians (correct at date of publication)
How to tell if your chosen magician will be AWESOME
Please don’t pick a close-up magician on price alone. Remember, you’re paying for a lot more than a few magic tricks so you want to ensure you choose the right person for your event.
If you’ve got a short-list of people who’ve been recommended to (or you like the look of), I suggest you narrow it down with these three things before hiring a Close Up Magician
- Look at videos and photos – in particular, check out the guests’ reactions. Does the audience look impressed and amazed or are they bored and cringing?
- Check out independent reviews – testimonials on 3rd party review sites such as FreeIndex will give you a good insight as to what audiences really think. (You can check out my reviews here.)
- Have a chat with the magician – and see that your instincts say about which one is right for you.